Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I got a degree for this?!?!

Sometimes it's not just what HEAR during my days at school that have me chuckling, it's what I find myself saying. The following is an email from another teacher here at school:

Hi Ladies, could you guys have a talk with your kids - girls I guess - about flushing the toilet? 3 days running, I have gone in there and seen way more than I need to. :) 
Thanks - have a pleasant day!

So I decided to have a "hygiene" talk with ALL the kids. Someone VERY NEAR AND DEAR TO ME is a firm believer in the "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down" philosophy. It's a bone of contention between us. So I thought (for all the future wives) that I'd nip it in the bud with these little ones.

Here is a paraphrasing of the discussion we had.

"Kidddos, you've got to be flushing the toilet EVERY TIME YOU USE THE BATHROOM. It's not just ours, we share it with Ms. S, and her kids, and all the other first graders. Nobody wants to walk in and see... ickyness... in there. Alright? And while we're at it, PLEASE, you've got to stop picking your noses." *Side note: I was reminded of this as one of my darlings had his finger half way to his brain, poised and ready to devour what he found* "And whatever you do, DO NOT EAT IT. It grosses me out. It's nasty. It's germy. It's just... not right. So STOP EATING YOUR BOOGS! *Deep sigh from me* Alright, let's go to recess."

I have NEVER seen so many kids eating their boogers as I have in this class. And they have NO SHAME! They see me watching them, and continue to feast. I have been very close to a dry heave. Is there some scientific evolutionary reason kids crave snot? 

They just don't cover boogs in college. 

2 comments:

holly gannett said...

I love all your classroom stories. It's hilarious you told them they gross you out :) hahah.

aubyn said...

Maybe they would respond to Mr.Hanky, the Christmas Poo. Hes a cartoon, and so wise