Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, November 6, 2008

On that note...

Here are some of the catch phrases (and their approximate definitions) that my teaching partners and I were laughing about tonight. 

"High energy" - cannot keep their butt on their seat or their mouths from opening
"Verbal" - cannot or will not shut up (see also "social")
"Intense" - throws tantrums
"Lacks fine motor" - handwriting is illegible and perhaps another language
"Overly helpful" - bossy
"Lacks motivation" - lazy

Usually, all we have to do is say these things, and the parent rolls their eyes, and says exactly what we WANTED to say, but didn't. 

Example:
"Suzie Loo is a delightful little girl. We're working on raising our hands before we speak, as she is very verbal and wants to share all of her bright ideas."
"Oh, I know. She won't shut up at home. Sometimes I have to hide in the bathroom to get a few minutes of quiet!"
"Yes, well... at least she's consistent!"

1 comment:

holly gannett said...

I love it! Tobin and I can just see you talking calmly to the parents trying your best to say these things in the nicest way possible :) we both got a kick out of this post!!

and for the post before this one about the "N"... I really hope Ella has teachers like you :)

Love you. h