Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Honesty is the best policy?

This week was a hectic one for me - half days on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to fit in Parent Teacher Conferences. Also, I had our district's Literacy Coach come in and do a couple of lessons for me, which can be a little stressful.

Our LC, "Mrs. I", is a MASTER TEACHER. As in, she does everything right, all the time. She taught me almost everything I know about teaching. It wasn't college, it was Mrs. I. Every first year teacher in our district is assigned to a Literacy Coach, and in addition to some training sessions, the coach demos some sample lessons and watches her "mentee" to offer "feedback." As a first year teacher, having Mrs. I in my class was extremely intimidating. She isn't exactly the warm and fuzzy type, and though I never cried (in front of her), I came darn close. I realize now that this was more because of my own insecurities than because of her methods. This year I actually INVITED her into my classroom, and really enjoyed it. She is amazing to watch. And my kids (with much prompting and coaching) were FABULOUS. While I was very nervous to have her back, a coworker mentioned that this was a big step for me to invite her in and feel confident enough to have her demo another lesson. And by Jove, I think she's right! It felt good.

But back to Parent Teacher Conferences, which was the real reason I wanted to write. I know that many teachers (and probably parents) dread conferences. But I really look forward to them. It's nice to sit down and talk candidly about a student's strengths. It's the weaknesses that hurt. 

As a student myself, I was a "straight G" kind of girl - maybe an S for organization and math, but never an N. An N would have devastated me, signaled the end times for sure. So to GIVE an N to a student was, at first, just as devastating! My first year, I "over g'd" - gave kids grades they probably hadn't earned out of my own fears and people-pleasing syndrome. I hope I didn't scar them for life when they smacked into N's in second grade. But what's done is done. They are all surviving, and I saw their work in the hall and couldn't believe my first year's class is now writing in cursive. My babies are all grown up! 

This year, I was very liberal with "poor" grades. I gave several N's to several deserving students. I also gave a little talk about how an N does not mean that I don't like you, or that you aren't smart - it means you need to try harder next quarter. Nonetheless, I know there was some disappointment, which saddens me. But at the same time - isn't that what I'm going for? Hopefully that disappointment will be a motivator to achieve, and to kick it up a notch. 

The parents were wonderful. I cannot say enough kind things about this years batch of parents. Those whose children received low scores were in complete agreement with me and only asked how they could help at home. I was so pleased. No complaints, no tears, no arguments. OH MY GOSH, THEY THINK I'M A PROFESSIONAL! I sat across from several doctors, lawyers, mothers and businessmen this year, and told THEM how to do their job as a parent better! Wow. Scary, huh mom? :) It felt really good.

While I will never feel good giving an N (I think that's just too far ingrained in me) I will always feel good about being honest, which I think I accomplished this year. It's like I'm finally getting it.


2 comments:

Addie said...

Well done. As a fellow over-achiever, I would have a hard time with that... but honesty is never the problem. How we deliver it can be, and it sounds like God gave you lots of grace and mercy in both the telling and receiving. Wahoo!

Dave said...

Yes an N would have put you over the edge but you deserved all of those good grades. And it does amaze me that you are helping parents "parent their children" but you did learn from someone who was pretty awesome. HA HA!! Plus, wait until you have your own kids....oops, Did I say that outloud?