Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

"Miss Wilson, can I go to the bathroom?"
"Sure, but be quick - you need to finish your paper before gym."
"Well, I can't be that quick. I have to... you know... sit on the toilet."

"I gotta poop."
"Uh, can you try that again?"
"May I use the bathroom please?"

On American Indian Heritage Day, our guest speaker was explaining that tipis were used because Indians hunted buffalo, and when the buffalo moved, they could just roll up the tipis and follow them. One of my girls said, "So instead of 'going with the flow', they would 'go with the BUFFALO!'"

And this pretty much sums up a lot of our kids:
The guest speaker asked the children to close their eyes and imagine what they think an Indian looks like. Really focus, what does their hair look like, what are they wearing, what is around them... etc. After a few seconds of imagining, she asked the kids to draw what they think an Indian looks like. After letting them draw, she holds up one picture and says, "Tell me about your picture." The boy proudly replies, "It's me eating 22 olives." Instructor: "Um. Ok... is there an Indian in your picture?" Boy: "Oh, woops. I just heard you say 'draw'."

4 comments:

lanerdoo said...

Oh dear, Bing and I laughed out loud about these. Especially the poop comment and the 22 olives. I love it!

Addie said...

Very nice. I am happy to see that children don't outgrow this stuff for a while. You have your hands full!

Anonymous said...

Laugh out loud. I love it when you post these!

Grammie Perrine said...

I have to know were the olives extra large ripe pittted or green stuffed with pimentoes? Twenty two? One for each finger and thumb ...where did he put the other 12? I once went as a stuffed green olive for Halloween.. ooops I got distracted.. what was the assignment?