Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Friday, September 11, 2009

Janelle's alter ego: Mrs. Wilson

I have recently extended the blogging craze to my professional life. I set up a classroom blog, rather than a posting a "newsletter" on the school website. This way I can post pictures, videos and other important or interesting classroom information.

Eventually, I will make the blog private, so that only invited guests will be able to view it. This means that (with parent's permission) I will be able to post pictures of the students and their work, rather than merely describing it. It will be great for reader's theater performances, plays, etc. I'm really looking forward to it!

When I received my class list, I sent post cards to each student with a short message and the blog address. There, I had posted pictures of the classroom so the students would feel "at home" before the first day of school.

The blog has been really well received by parents. They love the photos and feeling connected to their child's classroom. It's an easy way to understand what we do day in and day out. For me, it shows parents all that we are accomplishing, and I am able to explain why they may not see "worksheets" coming home. The pictures prove we are actually learning!

Currently, anyone can view the blog (lucky you!), but I will be setting it to private after Open House. I just wanted to give ya'll a chance to check out first grade first hand before that happens. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Grammie Perrine said...

I want to be a pupil in Mrs. Wilson's 1st grade class - loved the BLOG!

lanerdoo said...

I love it! What a great thing for the parents, I bet they love seeing all that goes on for their kiddos. You are a very fun and dedicated teacher. Bravo!