Hammie Hambone

Hammie Hambone

Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Single Life

Since Seth has left I have been extremely busy, which I think is the key to survival. As a mater of fact, I have not been home for a weekend since I went to Pocatello a month ago. After Idaho, I went to Big Sky for Brooke and Roy Peterson's wedding with my sisters. The following weekend I drove to Missoula with Seth's friends Bryce and Victor. We met Seth in Missoula, stayed with my friend Katy from college and then went to Spokane for a wedding where Seth was a groomsman. Then last weekend, Holly and I spent a lovely night at Chico. Whew.

Although I dread working in my classroom on Sundays, I remember now why I do it. Each Monday I have been rushed and frazzled with loose ends I should have tied up before the weekend. I am simultaneously dreading and looking forward to spending all day Sunday in my classroom. There is just so much work that I can accomplish when no one else is in the building.

Anyway, as I was saying, the change from co-habitation to singledom has been more smooth than I expected. I have been consistently busy, thanks to several invitations for dinner, drinks, coffee, etc. Kayla and I have painted together, and are making free cookie night at Subway a regular thing. Ren and I have been attending Jazz night at Walkers (where her honey works) quite regularly as well. Kaylie, Karen, Jenn, and Aubyn have also been there whenever I need them... with coffee, drinks, hot tubbing, or barbecues. I'm reminded constantly of how wonderful my friends are and how grateful I am to be surrounded by them.

However, while I am kept so busy with friends and family, I can't help but feel sad for Seth, all alone in Pocatello. He is doing well - he's taken two tests and gotten over 93% on both. He's also been at school until at least 8 most week nights - sometimes longer. He is making friends within PA school with study groups and what not. He has been occupied most weekends with trips to the brewery, the movies or service learning projects, which makes me happy.

Generally, I am doing well. After the first week, I've slept like a rock. I've started to work out again, and I'm busy with school. Occasionally, I will become severely annoyed with the bad phone connection or the grainy Skype videos, and I get a little bitter. It fades pretty fast though, and I try to focus on the good things. It's amazing that it has been a month already, and knowing how easy the first month has been is helpful to push me through the rest.

I can do it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course you can :)